Ten to fourteen-year olds, for the most part, are the smartest students in the school. Yes, they are smarter than most adults! They are also physically competent and can excel in most physical challenges that are presented to them. The problem we discovered is they are so focused on what is socially acceptable that they have a hard time keeping themselves emotionally driven to the task at hand. The solution we found is to provide them with their own program that targets their stage of development in a manner that nurtures their social and emotional instability while at the same time building skills that set them up for success. With that said a structured program introducing extreme skill-based training in martial arts has proven to be very successful.
Below are milestones that martial arts can help accomplish:
Top PHYSICAL development milestones:
- Demonstrating DEXTERITY to even the smallest details to the task at hand.
- Apply effort to challenging tasks such as building MOMENTUM in their jumps and spins.
- Demonstrating STRENGTH by applying power and mechanics to exercises.
Top INTELLECTUAL development milestones:
- Show good decision-making skills by having the proper INSTINCTS and REACTION when put under pressure.
- Demonstrate PRECISION by applying accuracy into their movements.
- Demonstrate VERSATILITY by showing the capability of performing a variety of moves in multiple directions.
Top EMOTIONAL development milestones:
- Apply effort by tapping into their intrinsic motivation.
- Engage with extreme effort despite obstacles, or personal moods.
- Work through embarrassing situations.
Top SOCIAL development milestones:
- Have VISION by seeing the bigger picture in life as it applies to making the best choices.
- Show maturity when working with their peers despite the mood and tone of the environment.
- Take praise and recognition as a signal that they are on the right path, and not a form of patronization.
By understanding the milestones of this age group, you can then provide drills and curriculum that properly target their stage of development to generate MAXIMUM results. At the same time, you can translate the benefits of your drills and curriculum to your parents. This is where you take an average program to a program of high VALUE.
Description: In this drill the students the students will test their precision by challenging their classmates to a game of PIG with board breaking.
This is a fun way to teach the students how to PHYSICALLY develop dexterity in their strikes/ kicks so that they break the board as quickly as possible, and in the first shot.
This is a great way to improve INTELLECTUAL development because they need to concentrate on the precision in their accuracy in order to not earn a letter.
This is great for their EMOTIONAL development as they try their best despite their mood, or embarrassment of earning a letter.
This is great for their SOCIAL development to show maturity throughout this competitive drill.
Click here to download the drill:
As you can see, we know how to take a simple drill and turn it into a drill that has VALUE.
It’s all in your mindset about drills and how you target age-specific benefits.
Hope this helps, make today a great day!